Brookfield School has partnered with SchoolReach to enhance communication between families and each campus. SchoolReach is an emergency communication system allowing the school to quickly contact parents with information needed through email, voicemail messages, and text messages. This communication system will allow for information to be immediately dispersed for general announcements, emergencies, or snow closures.
Brookfield School Cancellation Policy REVISED FEB. 1, 2017
In the event of inclement weather, we ask that you tune in to local TV and radio and Facebook for the latest news on our Brookfield closure status. Please be sure your email, cell phone and home phone are current. We use the “School Messenger” automated system, which is a leader in mass notification and emergency communications. The system can place a home phone call voice message, cell phone text message, Facebook notice, and email as determined by administration. We will try to notify our families by 6:00 am the day of school whether or not school will be in session. Please review this revised Brookfield policy on school delays and closures:
- SNOW CLOSURE: If the Washoe County School District is CLOSED DUE TO SNOW, then Brookfield’s Elementary Campus, Middle School, and TLC may or may not be closed, see delayed start described below. We will notify our families by 6:00 am the day of school whether or not school will be in session.
- STATE OF EMERGENCY: For all other closures, such as wind, rain, fire, or flood, we do not automatically follow the Washoe County declarations. We will notify our families by 6:00 am the day of school whether or not school at each campus will be in session. The school property or surrounding area may not be safe.
- DELAYED START: In regards to delayed starts and early releases, we do not automatically follow the Washoe County declarations. We will consider all of the information available and notify our families as soon as the decision is made. We will provide child care at each location as scheduled and instructional learning will be delayed for 2 hours. Our walkways and driveways will be hazardous, please take extra caution and enter at your own risk. If poor weather continues on that day only childcare may be provided. If middle school building is not open please drop student at elementary campus. Hot Lunch and other services may or may not be provided depending on the individual provider.
FRIDAY DELAYED START – FULL DAY: Elementary Campus and Middle School Campus will conduct a full day, releasing students at the 3:00 pm or 3:30 pm schedule. Brookfield will not release at 1:00pm on Friday. All Friday after school programs will run as scheduled, if the provider can attend.
On the inclement weather days no tardies will be counted, please travel only when safe.
- EARLY RELEASE: If the Washoe County School District cancels school AFTER our school day has started, we will make every attempt to keep our school open. However, absences will not be counted and we may call for an early release.
- ATTENDANCE: On inclement weather days no attendance phone call is necessary.
Regardless of the official school declaration, we ask that our families use their judgment in regards to the commute to and from school. Since our students come from far and near, we know that weather conditions may be very different at your house than they are at Brookfield. We ask that you drive only when you feel comfortable, and that you drive slowly and safely. If weather conditions deteriorate as the school day progresses, parents are welcome to come pick up their children early if they feel more comfortable doing so. Please note that students who arrive later than the regular class start times on days due to the weather should still check into the front office and receive an admittance pass. This tardy will not count against your child.